The popularity of teeth straightening treatments has been and is on the rise. In fact teeth straightening is now common across all age groups – and not just in order to achieve a brilliant smile...
Traditionally teeth straightening was limited to metal braces and was the dread of children and teens with buck teeth, very crooked teeth, a significant over or underbite or missing teeth.
Teeth straightening is now an accepted and sought after treatment by children, teens and increasing numbers of adults – and for many different reasons.
Why is teeth straightening now increasingly popular?
The main reasons why teeth straightening is now increasingly popular and a generally accepted and sought after treatment are:
- There is a growing awareness of the importance of our teeth and gums to our overall health.
- Improvements in technology and knowledge and skill had led to better teeth straightening options, shorter treatment times and less visible and more comfortable treatment options.
- An important cause is aesthetic reasons. In the past orthodontic treatment was sought mostly only by those with more severe orthodontic problems, but now this has changed. Along with the trend for an overall improved appearance and improved body image, so too does this trend now include acquiring the best possible, most attractive smile. So, getting rid of ugly teeth as was the requirement of previous times, it is now no longer the main reason for orthodontic treatment. Increasingly we are recognising that our teeth and hence our smiles are a very important part of our appearance – and we all want to look our best!
What teeth straightening options are now available?
The clunky and sometimes painful metal braces of yesteryear are now well and truly in the past. There are many different types of teeth straightening options now available including:
Which are the best teeth straightening treatments?
Your orthodontist (such as Dr Hall or Dr Poon at MP Orthodontics) will advise you on the best teeth straightening options that are available to you. Selecting the best teeth straightening options includes a number of different factors:
- The current alignment of your teeth and jaw, the health of your gums, any problems that you have and the final outcome that you are seeking.
- Your age, whilst orthodontic treatment is successful no matter what your age, as a teen your jaw is still growing, as an adult full growth has already occurred, and this impacts upon which treatment is likely to be most successful.
- Your budget, metal braces are still the most affordable of all treatments.
- The amount of care and time that you wish to invest in ensuring that the treatment is successful. Invisalign for example requires that the patient is a responsible participant in the treatment.
- How important the length of the treatment is likely to be, as some treatments for certain solutions may be quicker than others.
- Your personal preferences.
Whilst teeth straightening is becoming more common and popular, it is not a decision to be taken likely, nor is the selection of the type of treatment and importantly the treatment provider.
The success of your treatment is highly dependent upon the skill, knowledge and experience of the orthodontist that you choose. Here at MP Orthodontics we invite you to make an appointment for a initial consultation, we also offer you a free report that will help ensure that you choose the right orthodontist!
MP Orthodontics is an orthodontic practice based in Cheltenham, Melbourne. Working from the belief that orthodontic treatment is much more than working with teeth and creating smiles, treating orthodontists - Dr Martin Poon and Dr Geoff Hall - approach patients as people first. Their approach is to work together and plan and implement treatment that meets each individual’s needs. Drawing on 40 plus years experience of helping children and adults gain confidence through tailored treatment, MP Orthodontics, is a truly unique orthodontic practice.