Orthodontic Treatment for Teenagers
Creating confident lifelong smiles
We understand that teenage years can be challenging, so our approach to teens orthodontic treatment is to make it as enjoyable as possible.
Comprehensive orthodontic treatment usually commences once all or most permanent teeth have erupted. While treatment at any age is geared towards achieving the best patient outcome, treatment for this the teenager group is focused on:
- Correcting bite functionality and comfort.
- Improving teeth alignment.
- Eliminating premature wear on tooth surfaces.
- Enhancing self-confidence.
- Improving overall general health.
Although clear braces and clear aligner therapy have become popular with teens, these treatments are not necessarily ideal for your child. As each treatment pathway is tailored to the individual’s needs, we make assessments on a case by case basis, rather than prescribing a one-size-fits-all approach. Unless more mature by nature, and it is an ideal treatment pathway, most teens are prescribed metal braces.
Teens orthodontic treatment times for braces vary, depending on your teen’s needs, however it’s wise to set expectations upfront.
Depending on the severity of crowding, spacing or bite issues, expect corrective teens orthodontic treatment for teenagers to last between 18 and 24 months.
The best orthodontic treatment for teens is one that grows confidence
Having working with thousands of teenagers over decades, we’ve been witness to some remarkable transformations. Initial resistance dissolves when positive results start to emerge.
We encourage our teenage patients to:
- Stick to their care and maintenance regime, i.e. wear appliances as prescribed, wear elastics as advised, maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing daily.
- Appreciate that corrective treatment takes time, but is worth the effort.
- Take responsibility for their role in achieving the best outcome by working together with their orthodontist, dentist - and the parents or carers who’ve invested in them.
- Be patient! Adhering to an orthodontic treatment plan takes patience and builds resilience. We’ve had many parents share stories of teens who’ve transformed more than their smiles. They’re attitude and outlook has improved too.
Braces for teens
Braces are still currently the gold standard in orthodontic treatment. It's the most versatile option and can treat all different orthodontic problems. They are either metal or clear brackets that are bonded to the surface of each tooth, which in turn are joined by metal wires. Rubber rings can be used to hold these wires in place and patients have a choice of the many different colours that we offer!
Developed by Invisalign, the Invisalign Teen technology is orthodontic treatment using clear and removable aligners. It is important to recognise the Invisalign Teen is not suitable for every teenager who needs braces, and your child’s needs will be assessed on an individual basis to ensure their specific treatment requirements are addressed.
Treatment success depends on wearing aligners consistently. They have to be worn 20-22 hours a day and an honest assessment about the likelihood of compliance is wise to ensure we can achieve the most ideal outcome.
How do I pay for my teen’s orthodontic treatment?
We understand orthodontic treatment is a significant cost for every budget to absorb. That’s why MP Orthodontics offers flexible payment options. We never want treatment costs to prevent a child receiving the treatment they need.
Regardless of your situation, we’re confident we can find a way to make orthodontic treatment manageable in all ways, including financially.
Does your teen have a primary orthodontic concern? Share it here. One of our orthodontists will get in touch to discuss your needs
Talk to our Treatment Coordinator who can make life easy.
We can set up a regular recall so all you need do is confirm your appointment and come see us!