Teens Orthodontic Treatment
Creating confident lifelong smiles
We understand that teenage years can be challenging, so our approach to working with patients in this age group is to make treatment as enjoyable as possible.
Comprehensive orthodontic treatment usually commences once all or most permanent teeth have erupted. While treatment at any age is geared towards achieving the best patient outcome, treatment for this age group is focused on:
- Correcting bite functionality and comfort.
- Improving teeth alignment.
- Eliminating premature wear on tooth surfaces.
- Enhancing self-confidence.
- Improving overall general health.
Although clear braces and clear aligner therapy have become popular with teens, these treatments are not necessarily ideal for your child. As each treatment pathway is tailored to the individual’s needs, we make assessments on a case by case basis, rather than prescribing a one-size-fits-all approach. Unless more mature by nature, and it is an ideal treatment pathway, most teens are prescribed metal braces.
Treatment times for braces vary, depending on your teen’s needs, however it’s wise to set expectations upfront.
Depending on the severity of crowding, spacing or bite issues, expect corrective orthodontic treatment for teenagers to last between 18 and 24 months.
How do braces work for teenagers?
Braces work by applying steady pressure to the teeth, gently and gradually moving them into new positions. Each wire and rubber band in the braces works like a spring. The force created by these wires or bands is used to move teeth steadily into new positions.
The best orthodontic treatment for teens is one that grows confidence
Having working with thousands of teenagers over decades, we’ve been witness to some remarkable transformations. Initial resistance dissolves when positive results start to emerge.
We encourage our teenage patients to:
- Stick to their care and maintenance regime, i.e. wear appliances as prescribed, wear elastics as advised, maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing daily.
- Appreciate that corrective treatment takes time, but is worth the effort.
- Take responsibility for their role in achieving the best outcome by working together with their orthodontist, dentist - and the parents or carers who’ve invested in them.
- Be patient! Adhering to an orthodontic treatment plan takes patience and builds resilience. We’ve had many parents share stories of teens who’ve transformed more than their smiles. They’re attitude and outlook has improved too.
Orthodontic treatment options for teens
How do I pay for my teen’s orthodontic treatment?
We understand orthodontic treatment is a significant cost for every budget to absorb. That’s why MP Orthodontics offers flexible payment options. We never want treatment costs to prevent a child receiving the treatment they need.
Regardless of your situation, we’re confident we can find a way to make orthodontic treatment manageable in all ways, including financially.
Want to fix your smile?
Use the complimentary Fix My Smile service that allows you to upload photos and share your orthodontic challenge with one of our experienced orthodontists. Why not share your orthodontic concern or question with us.